Commuting by Bicycle provides many benefits. You can:
- Park your bike close to class.
- Get an aerobic workout while commuting.
- Save money on car payments, gas, insurance and repairs.
- Forego purchasing a parking pass.
- Reduce stress.
- Be happier while commuting.
Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
Gather Your Gear
- Get a bicycle, helmet, high quality U-lock, lights and reusable water bottle.
- Wear sunscreen and bring a cell phone and ID.
Protect Your Bicycle
- Register your bicycle at bike.asu.edu.
- Learn how to securely lock your bicycle.
Learn the Rules of the Road
- Take Traffic Skills 101, a bicycle education class.
Choose Your Route
- Find a buddy to commute with (sharetheride.com).
- Practice your route on the weekend.
Plan Your Routine
- What will you wear?
- Will you bring a change of clothes?
- How will you carry the things you need?
- Where will you park your bicycle?
- Will you need a shower, locker or place to change?
Bicycle Safety Tips
Plan your route
- Choose a route that is safe and comfortable for you to cycle on. It could be a road or trail.
Bicycle on the road
- If you don’t feel safe cycling on a particular road, choose a parallel route that you do feel safe on, or walk your bicycle on the sidewalk.
Be visible at night, dusk and in the rain
- Have a front white light, rear red light, bicycle reflectors and wear light colored/reflective clothing.
Follow all traffic signs, lights and laws
- Come to a complete stop at stop signs.
- Walk your bicycle through crosswalks and on sidewalks.
Be aware of what is going on around you
- Never wear ear buds/head phones, text or use a cell phone while cycling.
- Look over your shoulder.
- Signal with your arm.
- Go when safe.
- Pass on the left, give plenty of space and an audible signal.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Bicycle slowly on the campus mall.
Wear a helmet, sunglasses and sunscreen
Lock your bicycle well
Use the ASU Bike Co-Ops at any Sun Devil Fitness for
- Free flat repairs
- Free tune-ups
- Free rental bikes for weekly or semester checkout (Polytechnic)
- Free instruction and tutorials on performing your own basic bike maintenance
- Car racks and night riding lights for daily checkout (Polytechnic)
- Skateboard adjustments, repairs, bearing lube